Tools & Tutorials
Find tips, tools, and tutorials to help you with your research, citations, resumes, job readiness, and more.
Information Literacy Tutorials
The following video tutorials were created by SCC's West Burlington Campus Librarian, Brian McAtee. The videos provide instruction about information literacy skills that students need in order to be successful in courses such as English Composition and Speech.
- Hierarchy of Information (03:12)
- Controlled Vocabulary (13:59)
- Understanding the Difference: Magazine vs. Journal (05:58)
- Searching/Limiting Library Catalog & eBook Results (13:46)
- Introduction: Gale's Opposing Viewpoints (06:48)
- Searching/Limiting EBSCOhost Results: Academic Search Elite (21:48)
Academic Success & Career Readiness
The State Library provides Brainfuse at no cost to Iowa libraries through a state appropriation from Iowa Workforce Development. Brainfuse is the online resource provider for career services, test prep, and software tutorials for Iowa public and academic libraries. Brainfuse resources include:
- JobNow: one-of-a-kind career assistance that covers all major aspects of job hunting.
- Adult Learning Center: providing academic assistance designed for adult learners.
- VetNow: supporting the community's veterans and their families with locating eligible benefits, live online academic tutoring, employment transition assistance, and finding community resources.
PrepSTEP for Colleges
PrepSTEP for Colleges is a dynamic online eLearning platform that can help you prepare for success in school and the workplace. It has self-guided academic skill-building resources and tools for career readiness. PrepSTEP can help you to:
- Improve your English, math, science, and computer skills
- Supplement developmental coursework
- Develop college and life success skills
- Score higher on college placement assessments
- Explore careers and build workplace skills
- Prepare for occupation entrance exams (e.g. NCLEX-PN and NCLEX-RN)
NoodleTools is a research tool that will help you create citations and Works Cited pages in either MLA or APA format.
Interlibrary loan is a service whereby a user of one library can borrow books owned by other libraries. Use these forms to request books or articles NOT owned by the SCC Libraries.
Ask a Librarian