Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is a federally funded program for exceptionally needy students. This type of award represents aid that you will not have to pay back (assuming you complete the term for which you receive the funds). Your eligibility for a Pell Grant is determined by the Federal Department of Education. The Department documents your eligibility by using the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number reported on your Student Aid Report (SAR). The Pell Grant is adjusted according to your enrollment status (full-time, three-quarter time, half-time, or less than half-time).

If you are awarded a Pell Grant, you will typically receive your Pell Grant in two disbursements (50 percent in the Fall semester and 50 percent in the Spring semester).  Beginning with the 2017-2018 award year, you may be eligible to receive additional Pell Grant during the Summer term; this is known as Year-Round Pell. Year-Round Pell allows students to receive up to 150 percent of a regular grant award over the course of the academic year so that they can continue taking classes in the summer and finish their degrees faster than they would otherwise. Students who were full-time in the Fall and Spring semesters must be enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours during the Summer term to be eligible for Year-Round Pell. 

If you do not use your entire grant to pay for tuition and books, the remaining balance will be forwarded to you no later than 14 days after the start of the term.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This is a federal grant for exceptionally needy students with a '0' Expected Family Contribution based on the FAFSA. SCC receives a limited amount of funding from the federal government for this award.  The college awards students until the limited amount of funding available is depleted.  If you are awarded an SEOG grant, the award will appear on the Award Letter sent to you by SCC. Much like the Pell Grant, the SEOG grant is paid in two disbursements (50% in the Fall semester and 50% in the Spring semester).

State of Iowa Grants

These grants are for Iowa residents who meet the criteria outlined by the State of Iowa. Students are awarded by order of file completion date (how soon you are able to complete the financial aid application process). State grant programs include the Iowa Vocational Technical Tuition Grant and the Iowa Kibbie Grant. The Iowa Vocational Technical Tuition Grant and the Iowa Kibbie Grant are for qualified students in vocational, technical, or career option programs (and apply for aid before July 1st preceding your anticipated term of enrollment; for the 2018-2019 award year that date is July 1st, 2018). Students are notified of their eligibility for the Iowa Vocational Technical Grant by the Financial Aid Award Letter provided to them by SCC.

Iowa College Aid administers need-based college financial aid for Iowans.

Attention Students!

Federal and State Grants generally do not have to be repaid, and represent one of the most beneficial types of financial aid. However, students who fail to attend their classes, or stop attending classes, may have to repay a grant they were awarded. For more information concerning this type of scenario, see the "Earning Financial Aid" portion of this website.

Blackhawk Profile

Carl Snipes

Carl Snipes – Chemistry instructor

I started at a community college before earning a degree in Chemical Engineering, so I know what it takes to succeed.

Students who do well in my classes are very prepared the move on to four-...More ›

Learn More   ›

Schedule a Visit

Visit us

Come see us!

Wondering if SCC is right for you? Check out our campus and learn more about life at SCC.
Schedule a Visit ›

Request Information

request info

Got questions?

Want to know more about our programs or transfer options? Ask us. Or give us a call at 866-SCC-IOWA.

Get Information ›